Monday, January 6, 2014

Feeding our Children more than Food

Wekesa was right about me.  One of my challenges to staying on the food plan right for me, has to do with my girls.  Like my mama, Thelma, one way that I express love is through food -- that is my preparing it and serving it up.  So, for a few years now, upon Ife's return home for a break, I have jumped back into (especially breakfast foods) pancakes and eggs with cheese when I have been able to stay away from them for months and months at at time when she is away.

Why?  I think it's all the associations of love and good times that nudge me to go back and experience all that goodness one more time. 

This time was different.  On yesterday Ife was doing her best to get everything packed and loaded -- trying to beat the incoming cold weather and arrive in Greensboro before nightfall.  My motherly instincts said:  "Don't pester her with: 'how close are you, etc.; help her.'" So, I first packed up all her food from the frig.  I then had the idea of preparing her some breakfast, and the thought came:  I will not be eating the foods that she still enjoys.  I felt this lack of connection for a little while and then got busy.  I quickly spotted some potatoes that were left over from some potatoe soup I made for the UHURU Esusu Kwanzaa celebration -- "need to cook these anyway." I chopped these up; chopped up some onion and a little garlic.  Ran to the yard (garden) for some rosemary.  Sea-salted all of this with a nice massage.  Squirted the olive oil into the pan and placed the potatoes and fixins in.  I then rounded up some guests for Ife, as I was not even hungry.  Her sister, Sarafina, was happy to join in.  Her Dad, Wekesa, could join her, as Sunday is a cooked meal day for him.  They loved the potatoes and salsa.  I sat down and enjoyed a quick banana, thanking God for them -- as they are the quickest raw / live food I know.  

We held hands and thanked our Creator and ancestors for Ife's visit and her sweet company during the winter holiday break and asked for blessings as she completes her college journey. 

Feeling so good about this milestone and feeling boundless energy, I ran outside to aid her in one more way:  washed her car and cleaned the inside from top to bottom -- even found $5.00 that she was happy to see. 

I then resonated and proudly realized that I was able to give Ife the following:
1.) support as she left as opposed to nagging
2.) a sight of a family eating different types of foods and still sitting down and loving each other
3.) different options for eating:  vegetarian, vegan, raw / live
4.) a picture of her 56-year-old mother feeling happy, whole and fit


2 comments:

  1. I too understand. I ended up doing the same thing with my child Ayanna and her children while visiting with them in Houston. Preparing the meals they were use to that I was trying to get away from was joy and pain. I applaud you for eating that banana. I did make a kale salad the last day to prepare myself to get back on my food regiment as I returned home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Mama Nobantu, I hear you -- both joy and pain. The pain for me had also started including knee pain and pain of what some folks call the sciatic nerve. This pain too has provided me the motivation to eat that banana. Just think, we will be able to run and jump with those grandchildren for years to come. I applaud your health journey. Let's keep it up.

    ReplyDelete