Thursday, January 16, 2014

Tomato Basil with Hemp (Marijuana's Cousin or maybe Sister): Raw Soup #2

I have been saying that if I can master three soups to my taste satisfaction -- that I will be good to stay with this raw food lifestyle.  Wekesa saved last week with his raw broccoli soup.  It is delish.  Trust me -- so good.

One of my favorite soups has been a tomato basil.  I love the stuff.  I had been working hard to avoid the white girl (milk and cheese -- dairy).  The soup is best when it is creamy.  So, today, I kept thinking HEMP SEEDS.

Hemp seeds have been my fascination lately.  At the farmer's market, when purchasing for the first time, a sister quietly warmed up to me to ask a very serious question.  She said, "I am embarrased to ask this question, but I gotta ask somebody."  "Is this marijuana?" I told her the little I knew:  "No; it is in the same family though.  I think it's in how it's grown."

Back at home, I'm running for google.  Marijuana is the flowering tops and leaves of psychoactive varieties of Cannabis that are grown for their high THC content.
Industrial hemp has a low THC content compared to its CBD content. THC is typically less than 1 percent. Okay, good to get that clarity.  I have a fund memory of a sister creating raw brownies and carrot cake using hemp.  While I am not big on desserts, I'll be playing in that direction too.

Anyway, I have soup #2:

sundried tomatoes (fresh ones if you can get them)
garlic
semi-hot water (in winter)
basil (I used the Asian variety)
couple tbs of hemp seed
a dab of chickpea miso
sea salt
grounded black pepper

Twigs of rosemary were added to take the photo.  They smelled delicious.  I'll throw some in next time.  So grateful that I have played enough with creating food (cooked and raw) that I feel confident to play like that.  Sorry that my recipes are not so exact.  If you want/need more exactness, just google and get plenty of other folks' quantitative directions to lead you to something wonderful. 

Soup #2 in the bag.

1 comment: